Monday, September 29, 2008

Bigger Man (Part I)


A lot of things happened over the last weekend that really tested my patience and my outlook on the world. 2 incidents in particular made me so angry that their irony paused me in deep thought most of yesterday.

The first incident wasn't really a "wake up call" to me. Just a reminder in how far we have to go in community relations (ahem..that's PC for race relations people). So a few months ago I was charged with the task of finding a community service event for my coworkers and I to participate in. Since we work independently 99% of time its a way for us to meet/see each other- and have some minimal type of bond as "co-workers". Anyway it was surprisingly difficult to find something to for a few hours in an afternoon - (a blog topic in itself) - but in a last ditch effort I was able to secure a few hours at Vashon High School - with a little help from my mother who also works there. The project (this is important) - was to help reorganize and clean-up a room in a nursery for kids of teenage students. Not too difficult right? So you can imagine why I was surprised when I get a call from my boss (also surprised) that some of my co-workers were concerned for their "safety".

(waits for all the boos and hisses to stop...... no really get it all out it gets better).

I take it back I wasn't really surprised...I guess there was a small part of me that always knew that these people who work so hard to stay outside of the city -probably have a problem being inside the city. But I figured that they would at least trust that I wouldn't knowingly walk them into harms way. (What can I say I'm a dreamer). So while my knee jerk reaction was being offended (and I think justifiably so) it soon developed into anger. Where do these people get off? I NEVER question going to any task for fear of my safety (maybe I am just gangster like that?) - if anything my problem is the places are too far! I have myself down in parts of southern Missouri in the back-woods and trailer parks walking past houses with confederate flags knocking on the door - With a smile on my face! And you can't bring yourself out of your suburban mazes of mini-malls and over priced cookie cutter homes to spend a little time in A NURSERY?!? Because you are concerned for your safety?

Last time I checked there were not any infants or toddlers up for the death penalty - so forgive me if I cheapen your fear by calling it what it is - petty and cowardly.

TO BE FAIR -

YES - the neighborhood that the school is in is not up for America's hometown award - but the project did not require any interaction in the environment outside of the school aside from driving there.

YES - the school hasn't always had the best reputation for being void of any violence or crime. Got one word for that:

COLUMBINE


Anyone remember this? Overkill? (no pun intended...well maybe)

I mean seriously can you name me one school that doesn't have any potential for some scuffle or contraband? ITS HIGH SCHOOL! And again - the project was not to work with students, not even the infants really, it was to clean and reorganize a room. Maybe they were worried about slipping on a crayola? I always forget about the dangerous ROY G. BIV - the marauder!

YES - the official reason that the event was cancelled was due to a conflict of interest regarding mandatory background checks for participants (privacy laws won't allow it to be discussed and it wasn't enough time to get them for the rest of the people (who I guess weren't coming anyway).

Anyway --people who really know me personally know that when I take something to heart -its a heavy load. And I was not only disgusted with my "co-workers" but embarrassed for them. Is this what we stand for? Isn't this our territory that we serve? Its good enough to get paid to go in and do work (something else I am questioning now) but not to volunteer? When I finally got up the nerve to tell my mother she in true fashion gave me a good point.

She basically said not to be a hypocrite because they weren't the only ones who were acting all scared. She told me that there are people inside and outside the community that won't lift a finger to help much less the energy to be scared about doing anything helpful. And that's a shame ..it really is. So knowing that I incorporated the advice of my father. He said that I should not bear the load for their ignorance - why should I personally be ashamed of their shortcomings? And he was right.

A persons fear of me is more a reflection of their own cowardice, ignorance, etc. than it is any indication of who I am as a person -or even more - the community I come from.

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34)

I think that works here. They obviously don't know me. They don't know anything about where I am from. So I forgive them. Its their loss (but don't think I am not putting my formal objection on file though).

Now on to my own people (Part II)

No comments: