Saturday, March 28, 2009

Regarding advice on marriage...



Obviously since it became public knowledge that nuptials were in my near future. People have felt obligated to give me all sorts of advice. Some solicited - mostly not. That's okay I guess - when its done in the right spirit.

But all too often I get the random negativity and well - it annoys me. For example - I am at the bank today - making a (ahem) LARGE deposit into our wedding account and that spurs the "Awwww how sweet" comments from the bank tellers (all women of course). They offer their congrats and I am on my way right? Nope. I don't get 2 steps and I get another comment out of the blue - "Don't do it". Again - no biggie - that's not the first time I heard that. But when I turned to look who said it - you should have seen the fear in this mans eyes!


You know all good advice is great - until you take it. You know why - because then its not advice anymore. Its your decision or road to live or die with. But that's just it - its PERSONAL to YOU. Just because something doesn't work for YOU doesn't mean it won't work for anyone else. Stop throwing your fears onto other people.

Don't get me wrong - I am no fool. I know the statistics. I know the cultural issues, I KNOW THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE EASY. I get that. But its not impossible - in fact its far from impossible. I believe that in my heart. Thats part of the solution -on how I make this work. If I go in with doubts - WHAT KIND OF PLAN IS THAT? I'll tell you.. a dumb one.

It's cool to say "be careful", "communicate", "never go to bed angry", etc., etc.. But to be flat out "don't do it"? That super wack - and cowardly if you ask me. Like if marriage is not CURRENTLY working out for you - Do something about it! But don't expect it to be some full fledged curse against human race. If marriage didn't work for you in the past - ok fine - time to move on. Let's not project the negative spirit that killed that relationship into another one. Give me all the things to look out for - but don't fear me into some corner. Alright!?!

I AM ABOUT TO DO THIS!!! AND BE GOOD AT IT IF I SAY SO MYSELF and if you aren't with that here is a little advice.

No comments: