Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Whole New World - YES WE DID!



Last night was amazing. Really it was. I mean I know that in a lot of parts of the world there were large outburst of joy - dancing in the streets. But really overall I think there was more pause than anything else. Not pause as in hesitation - but a moment of processing. I saw it in the faces of so many people - so many news reporters, people walking by - everybody - just taking a moment to really processed what just happened - and what it meant for the future.

I mean really think about it. What have we know for so long - limitations, doubt, discrimination - and I am not saying that just to Black people - because many Americans are part of many different kinds of minorities (a fact I think we forget all to often). But to know these invisible and intangible barriers for so long - to see one of them smashed - its well humbling. Its like waking up in your house - it looks like your house - smells like your house - but everything in you is telling you -this is not what your house really is like. Its strange. I feel like I moved to a new place - when I know that I haven't. Is this America? The United States of America? Yes.. Yes it is.



Then the emotions came. People really started to either just simply celebrate - or cry tears of happiness. Knowing what this meant for our parents, and their parents, and for so many who really DIDN'T get to see this day.




The passing of Obama's grandmother all of a sudden really did hit home in a very real way.


Next the celebration - I mean because you have to celebrate - I even saw my pastor out celebrating - its all good --nah its all great. I watched as groups of people stood with our eyes and ears glued to the TV screen to listen to his acceptance speech. Hitting down the road in to uncharted territory. I felt like quoting Star Trek "to boldly go where no one has gone before".


Yeah - we were celebrating.


But then he said something - what lies ahead may not be easy and that it would take some time. The words brought it back to me - what this REALLY means. YES we have reached a great moment in history. But now there are many more to write. A quote from the late President Kennedy came to mind- "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country".


I hope people really learned the lesson of November 4, 2008. The lesson is not that a Black Man can be President in the United States. The real lesson is that with a little effort and sacrifice (say 2 hours or more in line voting) a group of people can really change and or affect the world, our history, and our collective future.





Realizing that - the question is simple - what future do we choose? Do we choose to make this presidency about simply getting elected - or about a great administration - the revival of the US to is former prominence and respect in the world. Or do we simply concede to "dancing in the streets"? What are we willing to sacrifice to make ourselves better? And make no mistake there WILL be sacrifices.


So there it is... all of this searching for an answer to our problems and the answer is a question:

What are you prepared to do?

No comments: