Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Get on the Bus: History Achieved today...



Before you say it - I know I know - I have been blogging the play by play on the speeches. So of course you were expecting the review of President Bill Clinton's speech - WELL I MISSED IT! Its cool though I missed it because I was at church helping on a project. But you know I rushed home to catch the coverage and replays.

To my surprise in addition to the all of the glowing reviews of Pres. Clinton's speech that there was a lot of commentary about this history of the day- the OFFICIAL NOMINATION OF AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN BY A MAJOR PARTY FOR THE OFFICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

In those moments I had to pause and check myself about the levity of that. It was only a few years ago that we were so excited to see a black man and woman win an Academy Award and so many people blew off this official marking of Barack Obama's nomination. Why? I'll tell you why - because for as much as I love my grandparents and my parents - I have never walked in their shoes. And for as much as I have been able to witness in my 30 years as far as racial progress - in pales in comparison to what they have seen and had to endure. While just yesterday I wondered if I would see it in my lifetime - they lived in a time when it didn't seem possible - ever.

Next it occurred to me why - whether he wins or not in November - this moment - Aug. 27th 2008 is extremely historic to both African-Americans and women alike. Because for the first time they were able to bear witness to and or cast their official vote for the FIRST female or the FIRST African-American candidate with a REAL shot at being president of the United States. So on some levels - I apologize for some of my criticism of HRC supporters - because I now see why when something that seemed so impossible less than 10 years ago - you would want to see it through even though conceding it right at its cusps. As we say "I feel where you are coming from".

So I suggest to all - don't follow my lead and let the gravity of this come over you on accident. I chose the picture above to remind you to take some time to realize the world we lived in, the new world you live in, and what it can be.

YES WE CAN!

No comments: